Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Is Sex All That?

You may have experienced a strong reaction to the title of this blog.  Who doesn't like sex?  Isn't sex the primal drive of all creatures?  Yet, humans are the rare species who enjoy carnal knowledge without requiring the necessary result of offspring.  In other words, sex can be a fun and highly desirable pastime.

Ironically, when the thought of being desired came into my awareness as a pre-pubescent tween, I was shocked by my shyness.  As long as I was just friends with people, I could be myself.  If I thought they "liked" me, I felt I should behave in a certain way - which made me feel embarrassed and awkward.  That feeling never really went away, I just learned how to recognize it and address those feelings over time. 

Which brings me to the sizzling experience of sex.  What I like about sexual attraction is not the baggage or insecurities that seem to crop up at the thought of being naked in front of someone else - and remaining desirable!  Rather, blood pulsing through my veins reminds me that I'm alive.  Common signs of arousal include sweating, salivating, pupil dilation, and heart rate increase.  How could I avoid knowing I'm alive when these biological signs occur?

I have to mention here that the most interesting parts of intimacy (in my view) all have to do with foreplay: kissing, touching, holding, caressing, etc. This translates to sex can be the outcome, but is not the goal - connection is.

Interestingly, studies are now supporting that men and women do not have orgasms with people they don't know well.  In fact, women orgasm far more with a sexual partner they've shared intimacy with more than 3 times.  I mention this because there seems to be a myth that supports the idea that one night stands can be sexual explosions of awesomeness.  On the contrary, trust allows a sexual relationship to flourish and be satisfying.

What are your parameters that allow you to consider moving your relationship(s) to sexual?

Copyright 2014 Heather Corwin


No comments:

Post a Comment